Page 38 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast

Thread: Surprise!

I dunno, but you and your crumpet need to keep your distance! 6 feet!
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Not an exciting post except that I'm done with the electrical system for a while.

I moved the battery to reclaim some space in the wine cellar/liquor locker. Down the road this space will probably be used for solar controllers. The dual ACRs 1) separate the starting battery from the house bank if low voltage is sensed on either circuit, protecting the starting battery from discharge, and 2) separate the forward house batteries powering the winches from the aft house battery powering the DC panel/electronics, protecting the electronics from the big voltage drop caused by the winches.

I was concerned that with heavy use of the autopilot(s) offshore (when I don't need the electric winches), I may want to combine the three house batteries back together. So today I installed a parallel switch to do that. I moved the panel multimeter's sensing wire back to the forward house bank and will use the voltmeter in the B&G system to monitor the aft house battery. I moved some other wires around to clean things up, and zip-tied everything. Tomorrow I'm going sailing!

Sorry this forum inverted the image - I can't fix it. We need the available upgrade to our forum software.

Name:  Elect 2.JPG
Views: 775
Size:  834.5 KB
    Last edited by BobJ; 07-19-2020 at 08:12 AM.

Name:  Elect 1.JPG
Views: 826
Size:  692.3 KB

I added some labels in case I need a reminder of how it's all supposed to work.

#singlehanding/#sleepdeprivation
    Last edited by BobJ; 07-19-2020 at 07:57 AM.

That's an awfully tidy, clean installation, Bob. Wow. I'm impressed.

Is the white box that says ProNautic the AC charger?

Yep. Back in pre-Covid days (post #208) I mentioned the Freedom 10 charger/inverter mounted in the back of the boat. It weighed a ton and was pre-AGM technology - it wouldn't charge the new batteries properly. The ProNautic replaced it.

After yesterday I'm thinking of using some of that weight savings for one or two utensils. Maybe a carbon fiber spork.

I have a titanium spork in my backpacking kit. I bought Joan (aka "The Coffee Queen") a vacuum-enclosing titanium, 800 ml. coffee cup with a lid for Christmas a couple of years ago. Since I couldn't bring myself to ditch my perfectly good enameled steel oldskool coffee cup, I bought the spork. I'd been carrying my Boy Scout mess kit knife, fork and spoon for decades, and that little assembly was heavy!

You should already have a sailing knife, so what more could you need?

Cut with the knife, stab with the knife, stir with the knife. If you make soup, just slurp it down from the bowl.

More seriously, I'm curious if the handwriting was intentional instead of a label printer, or just chance? Label printers are usually thermal printers, so printed labels may bleach or black out after spending some time in the sunny California summer.

In response to a spontaneous invitation, a fellow E-dock e-regular hopped aboard yesterday for a sail down to the Estuary and back. She brought a salad but no fork, assuming I had one. I really need to get the galley equipment sorted out!

I printed the labels with a fine-point Sharpie on electrical tape, 'cause that's what I had. My wife has a label printer so I might make some fancier ones. Those electrical compartments don't normally see the light of day so fading isn't a concern. But frankly, I'm really tired of messing about in there and it might be a while!
    Last edited by BobJ; 07-20-2020 at 10:50 PM.

If those batteries are new you might want to combine them now so they stay well matched in terms of voltage and battery internal resistance. You might ask a battery expert for more details. I have read though that it is best if starting with new batteries to keep them tied together if the plan is to use them that way.