Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Sss raid

Jim's idea is similar to one I've been mulling over (2 of my boats were Mulls - "mulling" is something I have a lot of experience with). Begin with a shorter version. Put in at a Marin County location. 1) Loch Lomand where parking might be a issue - although there is on-street parking nearby -- or 2) Buck's Landing on Gallinas Creek in Terra Linda. I'm headed for Terra Linda this weekend by car and plan to check out Buck's for putting in and for parking. It's about a mile north of China Camp. Water depth might be an issue at low tide, although the morning low is 2.9 at the Golden Gate (08:19).
    From the Marin County launch site to the VYC day #1. It's a fairly short hop over to the bight between Pt. San Pablo and Pt. Pinole and then up to Carquinez. Or, take the norther route around the top of San Pablo Bay (something you can't do in a convention sloop). Overnight at the VYC. Perhaps "camp out" on the south deck? But Jim's idea offers an alternative - below.
    My idea was day #2 up the Napa River to either the Napa Valley Marina or Napa launch ramp further up. Might even be possible to get the Napa YC involved?
    Jim's idea about the Vallejo 1-2 weekend has merits. Company on the way up. Since it's singlehanded up, spare bunks on SSS boats overnight at the VYC? And his bungalow is really nice - as it his significant other.
    A possible problem is the Sunday morning ebb (1.4 knots). Slack's at about 10:30, so a delayed start could ride the 2.3 knot flood in the afternoon?

Oh go up the Napa river?

Well, heck. I never thought of that.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

There's also the Petaluma River. Perhaps a better down-river RAID. Put it at the Petaluma Marina next to the Highway 101 bridge (parking available), sail down to Black Point at the river's mouth. There's not much there anymore, but perhaps small boats could get in and camp out at the remains? (have to be checked out) Good to pick an ebb day. Next day down San Pablo Bay to Loch Lomand and haul out? Sail past China Camp on the way to L.L.

Tomales Bay would be nice place to RAID. Put in at Miller park, run down to Marshall for some oysters, camp anywhere on the western shore, come out at Inverness.

Like the idea of going somewhere you cannot in a big boat... back to gunkholing as a kid... maybe a smallish inflatable with outboard as a sag wagon... some kid would find to be great fun (as kids we used to circumnavigate Staten Island... that was a long day and quite an adventure).

Name:  F5A679CD-73FD-47A2-A1B3-EBBBDE60D7F8.jpeg
Views: 950
Size:  650.4 KB[QUOTE=JimQuanci;2393(as kids we used to circumnavigate Staten Island... that was a long day and quite an adventure).[/QUOTE]

Jim, you don’t have to fly back east and take the ferry to circle Staten Island! I sailed along its southern border yesterday. Lots of tacking but good wind. You CAN go home again ...

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Back when I had my Norseboat 17.5, I rowed it all the way up from the mouth of the Petaluma River (Black Point ramp) up to the basin in downtown Petaluma, and then back all in one day. A very long day, with the tides timed just right . I had photos etc on my old blog, but that went defunct.

I mentioned it here https://www.sfbaysss.org/forum/showt...=4984#post4984

Jackie's chart of the upper N. Mok and Dead Horse Slough jogged another idea about a RAID. There are many narrow, shallow sloughs in the Delta that wind around, intersect. It might be possible to put together an "Out and Back" RAID where you'd begin and end up at the same launch site. The sloughs might be navigable or larger boats, but I suspect there isn't much traffic (except for fisherfolks) in many of them. Some of the marinas have camping areas and most have some sort of grocery/supply store.

It used to be that a July cruise to the Delta was the thing to do, with several hundred sailboats heading up the first weekend and staying for a week or more. Sort of the Delta Ditch Run, except with boats loaded down with inflatables, awnings, towed dinghies, and the other gear to make it sort of comfortable in the heat. Fireworks at Hilton's. 1st Bedroom, 2nd Bedroom on Potato Slough. A cruise through Georgiana Slough. But I think that's pretty much gone away. And, the South Delta was sort of off the map even then. Old River, Middle River, Connection Slough, Columbia Cut, Five Fingers. If you wanted some privacy the S. Delta was the place to go. Probably still is.

Quote Originally Posted by Wylieguy View Post
    Jackie's chart of the upper N. Mok and Dead Horse Slough jogged another idea about a RAID. There are many narrow, shallow sloughs in the Delta that wind around, intersect. It might be possible to put together an "Out and Back" RAID where you'd begin and end up at the same launch site. The sloughs might be navigable or larger boats, but I suspect there isn't much traffic (except for fisherfolks) in many of them. Some of the marinas have camping areas and most have some sort of grocery/supply store.

It used to be that a July cruise to the Delta was the thing to do, with several hundred sailboats heading up the first weekend and staying for a week or more. Sort of the Delta Ditch Run, except with boats loaded down with inflatables, awnings, towed dinghies, and the other gear to make it sort of comfortable in the heat. Fireworks at Hilton's. 1st Bedroom, 2nd Bedroom on Potato Slough. A cruise through Georgiana Slough. But I think that's pretty much gone away. And, the South Delta was sort of off the map even then. Old River, Middle River, Connection Slough, Columbia Cut, Five Fingers. If you wanted some privacy the S. Delta was the place to go. Probably still is.
    I'm seriously keen on this idea. It saves a LOT of driving.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

I love all of these ideas! This is why I'm building the RoG.