Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Collective SSS Memory...

Default The Collective SSS Memory...

...up to 1990 or so.

As one of the earlier SSS members in the 1980's, I was going to post some of my recollections. However, I think a broader topic would do better. Instead of me and 3BF, I suggest something like The Collective SSS Memory up to 1990 or so. Based on Jackie's book and interviews, there seems to be much more that can be presented.

Since I have not been active before and don't know who posted what, I ask the forum members for their suggestions.

Let me know to avoid duplication and to fit the existing protocol.

Ants
    Last edited by BobJ; 04-27-2019 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Insert requested title

These images are from Ants Uiga, who brought us the idea of the Three Bridge Fiasco. What does this mean? I have no idea. Ants?

Name:  FFE8DB8D-453A-4F2F-8040-207F66B6C73F.jpeg
Views: 1145
Size:  407.2 KB
    Name:  4E308C81-220F-49E1-8E49-CD1C1DF6ECFF.jpeg
Views: 1071
Size:  466.0 KB
    Last edited by Philpott; 04-26-2019 at 08:57 PM.

Default The Collective SSS Memory

This from Ants: “A redheaded friend of Chuck Hawley did the artwork for the SSS 'Geek'! Everyone liked the hair blown backward while the wind was blowing forward.”

Cool mug!

After the beat to the rock pile, your hair is just stuck that way.

As race chair, the typical entry swag was an SSS t-shirt. There are 3BF t shirts from '84 and '85 in a drawer somewhere. Sailors's t-shirt drawers were getting full after a while. One favorite suggestion was an SSS mug with the race and year, and the 'geek' logo on the opposite side. The logo was also used on other SSS paperwork.

At one point, I was curious about who created the 'geek' artwork. Chuck Hawley was Commodore in '82 or '83 (and was the one who asked me to be race chair). Chuck told me the name, but my memory has not been able to recall that. But, I remember meeting the guy, a redhead from Santa Cruz, may have even been a West Marine employee. My suggestion is to go back to Chuck for information.

Quote Originally Posted by AntsUiga View Post
    As race chair, the typical entry swag was an SSS t-shirt. There are 3BF t shirts from '84 and '85 in a drawer somewhere. Sailors's t-shirt drawers were getting full after a while. One favorite suggestion was an SSS mug with the race and year, and the 'geek' logo on the opposite side. The logo was also used on other SSS paperwork.

At one point, I was curious about who created the 'geek' artwork. Chuck Hawley was Commodore in '82 or '83 (and was the one who asked me to be race chair). Chuck told me the name, but my memory has not been able to recall that. But, I remember meeting the guy, a redhead from Santa Cruz, may have even been a West Marine employee. My suggestion is to go back to Chuck for information.
    To quote Chuck Hawley, "Peter Costello, who passed away in January at the age of 70, was the originator of the Geek. Ex-West Marine CEO Geoff Eisenberg and I were speaking recently about Peter and his contribution to West Marine by creating the Geek. I believe that I hired Peter in the early 80s to work in the Palo Alto store. But Peter's talents as a catalog producer and artist rapidly eclipsed his talents as a retail sales associate."

Peter Costello was a good guy and friend to all. This recall of the Geek and Peter's artwork for SSS is a fitting tribute. Thanks, Ants.
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-27-2019 at 11:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AntsUiga View Post
    One favorite suggestion was an SSS mug with the race and year, and the 'geek' logo on the opposite side. The logo was also used on other SSS paperwork.

Thanks, Ants. I'd like a cup like that for any race. Like you, my drawers are full up with tshirts. Although it does save one from shopping :-) Kristen Soetabier is our treasurer now, so maybe she'll read this thread and consider the possibility.

Now, how about the story behind the Three Bridge Fiasco? Was it decided during a late night drinking spree or what? Who was there? Who objected that it would be dangerous? I'd like to know, and your response here will lend it historical gravitas. Ed Ruszel just left me a phone message: he has a box full of SSS memorabilia. Maybe what was lost when Peter Hogg's car went into a ditch over near Stinson.
    Last edited by Philpott; 04-28-2019 at 09:46 AM.

I have a pair of SHF coffee mugs from about 1992 I think...
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    I have a pair of SHF coffee mugs from about 1992 I think...
    Bring 'em to the Cruise down to Sierra Point Yacht Club November 16. Who knows? Maybe there will be a prize for the oldest coffee mugs.

Not as old as the mugs but I've got some 90s trophies that were embroidered wool blankets.