Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Singlehanded Farallones 2015

Quote Originally Posted by sunol View Post
    First timer and I am sore this morning!
    Couple of minutes of video. My gopro died on the way out, so some stills near the end. Shot of the whale I saw just north of the shipping channel. https://vimeo.com/128725805
    Nicely done, Mike. It reminds me of the 4 commandments of the Cal Sailing Club: 1.Keep the boy in the boat, 2. keep the water out of the boat, 3. don't hit the whale, and 4. Look cool while sailing. (paraphrased). Congratulations. Especially since your go-pro died before the waves started, you make the race look like a piece of cake.

Quote Originally Posted by sunol View Post
    Ha! Also didn't capture the one word I said very loudly when the furling line on the genoa snapped just as I came along side the island.
    Your furling line and my gps\ais\wind vane pole. Just as I was setting up to round, i look back and my pole is hanging sideways just above the water. Sheesh, you cant make this stuff up.

This was my first trip outside. Nightmare did well. Me, not so much. Got sick after about an hour and just about hourly after that. Made it to the island but didn't round. I needed to tack more north to round, but I was just wiped out. Decided to call it and turned to head back.
    Off the swell was better and I think I dozed for a moment with the tiller pilot. Managed to keep some water down and made it back safely.
    Name:  IMG_0671.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  88.5 KBName:  IMG_0678.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  88.5 KBName:  IMG_0679.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  92.1 KBName:  IMG_0680.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  90.9 KB
    All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it is vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

T.E. Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    This was my first trip outside. Nightmare did well. Me, not so much.
    Name:  IMG_0671.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  88.5 KBName:  IMG_0678.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  88.5 KBName:  IMG_0679.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  92.1 KBName:  IMG_0680.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  90.9 KB
    Oh, Greg! I'm sorry to hear that. So close!
    Last edited by Philpott; 05-24-2015 at 09:02 PM.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

FWIW, here is my track

http://gpx2kml.com/map/g2hvjdimo

At least I finished. Twice before I have bailed, and last year I think I got to the Island about 6PM and the wind completely shut down.

Curious what the reasons for the DNFs were. Sounds like seasickness was one. Was that the main reason or did the wind and/or sea conditions turn a few boats around?
    Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Bermuda 1-2 on a Schumacher 28

In my case, a collision moments before my start with a port-tacker that wasn't in my division (and should have been well behind the line). Very frustrating.

After assessing the damage I decided I could keep sailing and went on out until it got uncomfortable, then hoisted and enjoyed a nice sail back in and around the central Bay. It was Master Mariners so all the woodies/gaffers were out - it was a nice afternoon.

Jonathan and Christine took some great photos from the bridge. I'm already discussing sail trim/lead positions with my rigger:

http://www.norcalsailing.com/galleri...l#.VWNKHU9Viko
    Last edited by BobJ; 05-25-2015 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    In my case, a collision moments before my start with a port-tacker that wasn't in my division (and should have been well behind the line). Very frustrating.

After assessing the damage I decided I could keep sailing and went on out until it got uncomfortable, then hoisted and enjoyed a nice sail back in and around the central Bay. It was Master Mariners so all the woodies/gaffers were out - it was a nice afternoon.

Jonathan and Christine took some great photos from the bridge. I'm already discussing sail trim/lead positions with my rigger:

Hi Bob,

I saw it happening and try to yell out to both boats. Only Bob could hear me and of course you did not know what I was yelling about, especially as you were on starboard tack. I hope both boats did not get damaged to badly...

Dirk - "TIJD" First 30JK

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post

I was impressed by the way you called it in very calmly.
    Thanks for the link to the pix and thanks to Jonathan and Christine for taking them!

Mike

I forgot to turn on the tracker until just before I turned around. The waves were big and close together. Dura Mater was fine, durable and strong. She handled the conditions well, but I just couldn't find the endurance yesterday. I think maybe my adrenaline was too high at the beginning. I got a good start and was in the running. The forecast called for conditions to improve in the middle of the day, then deteriorate later again. I realized that if I was that tired @ 1pm, I would not be strong enoough to return in such high waves and wind. I keep thinking that I am as strong as I was ... um, 35 years ago. But I'm not. I have that strength in my head, you know? Aaaah .... I'll try again next year.