Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Sss raid

I think this is a little confusing. Jim is suggesting that the RAID be held as an informal part of RYC's Totally Dinghy, which is scheduled for the weekend of September 21/22. Alan's RAID was scheduled for the weekend of Vallejo 1-2 October 19/20. Two separate events as far as I can tell.

Jim suggested promoting it at Totally Dinghy, not having it on that date.

I'd proposed having it on a weekend that wasn't in conflict with a pre-existing SSS event, but nobody seemed interested. Jim suggested doing it alongside the 3-BF, with folks going up to Napa instead of a Delta trip, Ants agreed, and here we are.

I want to support the idea. I VERY MUCH want to support it. I've tried to get something like this going twice before and nobody has expressed an iota of interest, so I'm stoked that there's some action this time. It's just that I don't actually own a little 14 footer right now, so I was going to use the Piper, but getting the Piper back downstream from Napa, against the wind might be problematic. I could maybe have her ready in time.. ~maybe~.. if I ignored the projects that need doing on the Wildcat. Or I could buy a used 14 footer like a Holder 14 or a Lido or something, and do the event.

The thing is that I don't have all the kit to race in the SSS events that go out the Gate, so I hate to miss the few that I CAN do that are "inside"...the Vallejo 1-2 being one of them. Between one thing and another...crewing on other boats, concerts, conflicts and so on, I've hardly raced my own boat at all this year. Here's my last chance this year to race, and.....it's just hard to say "no".

Doesn't mean that I won't, anyway, but it's a little painful. On the other hand, the Wildcats bottom hasn't been cleaned in three years beyond what I can do from the dock and the last race I did I was the far side of dog-slow, so maybe zooming along in a dinghy would be more fun. I dunno. I hate to drop a couple bills on a dinghy, when what I NEED to do is save my boat bucks for a haulout for the Wildcat.

Can I convince Joan that I Need THREE boats?
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    I'll be focused on the Vallejo 1 and then getting S! back to RYC and cleaned up. But I think these events could catch on, so I'm interested.

I have a question. As pretty as that Penobscot 14 was, would it be better to have a boat that is self-rescuing? The P14 didn't have any decking, even over the bow. You could put inflatable cylinders in it (like the Optis do) but it would still be full of water when you righted it. Taking off across San Pablo Bay knowing that you absolutely can't capsize seems unrealistic.

All that said, I discovered I still have the owner's phone number.
    So, why did I sell the skerry? She was pretty as could be, rowed like a dream and sailed OK....not great, but OK.

The answer was that once I capsized her. I couldn't get the boat to right itself with the rig up. I had to drop the rig in the water. Now, the mast was hollow aluminum and plugged at both ends, so it didn't turn turtle. When I released the halyard on the yard, the boat would come up. I could get back into it...both good things. However, the freeboard was SO low, when it was full of water and I was sitting in it, that I could make no headway against little waves splashing water back into the boat, when I bailed. This was in the Redwood City turning basin, not out in the open Bay. I got to thinking about what that could mean on a rough day, when I was a mile off the closest shore and that convinced me that the skerry was NOT the boat to go dinghy cruising in.

I had purchased a couple of dinghy flotation bags, and strapped into the right places maybe they would have changed that situation, but I don't think so. I think I would have found myself sitting for hours in a swamped skerry, unable to row, unable to sail....not IN the water, but still not a good situation.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Jim suggested promoting it at Totally Dinghy, not having it on that date.
    Oh! Dura Mater and I are totally in for this. She's my pudgy dinghy. We'll do Vallejo 1 then go up river. Looking forward to it. I'll bring them lemon thingees, too.
    Last edited by Philpott; 09-10-2019 at 03:58 PM.

I am still holding the date on my calendar. My rowing training should start in a week or so, but paddling will begin tomorrow. My primary craft, the canoe with oars has flotation, but I will add more flotation bags under the decks. There are plenty of dry bags, as well as room for a cooler. The umbrella that was used in a Green River trip is probably not needed.

I like the promotion idea. The more the merrier.

Ants

The note that comes with my Social Security check says to keep moving if I want to collect more of them.

The on the water conditioning began today. Five miles in about an hour and a half. If the tides are not adverse, that gets me to the Brothers Lighthouse.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 649
Size:  2.22 MB

Very pleasant time, even though an earlier start would have been cooler.

Ants

Default In full practice mode...

Weekend before last, I took the Laser out in the Napa River for an hour... first time I have sailed her in over a decade. Only ran aground twice (need to pay closer attention to the channel markers). Then just this last weekend sailed in Tomales Bay... about 4 hours on the water... maybe cover 6 miles all told. Launched at Inverness YC (great place with friendly smiling members who just want to help) and sailed north up past Hearts Desire Beach. The trip south at the end of the day was a fast one... bit of planing going on. What did I learn? Don't forget the bottle opener (Corona). Next Vallejo... :-)

Yes the plan is to ghost the Vallejo 1-2 fleet on Saturday. Hang with them in the evening (maybe borrow a bunk) - and head north to Napa Sunday morning (as the SSS crowd heads back to the Bay). Yes the Totally Dinghy was just about promoting the RAID. Love Jackie's idea of V 1-2 on DM to Vallejo - and then joining us going north to Napa on Sunday. Maybe that is the answer to having dry clothes... "DM delivery service".

At some point need to take a headcount - so we can let Vallejo YC and Napa YC that we are coming (though if its just 3 or 4 of us... we can likely get away with just showing up).

What else? I have put a bug in my son's ear... see if he can borrow a 420 or an FJ... grab a friend and join in the fun.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    Can I convince Joan that I Need THREE boats?
    There’s a FREE boat with trailer on Craig’s list. Might be just what you need!

https://reno.craigslist.org/boa/d/tr...987787170.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    There’s a FREE boat with trailer on Craig’s list. Might be just what you need!

https://reno.craigslist.org/boa/d/tr...987787170.html
    Hey, a mutineer... that would be fun, but I'm more likely to go for a more cruising-oriented dinghy like a Wayfarer or a CL16. Also on the possible list might a very rowable beach cruiser around 16 feet like an Oughtred Tirrik. And finally, a boat that is primarily an open-water rowboat might get the nod. All those would work for the raid, I'm just not finding one around the Bay Area..