Page 224 of 629 FirstFirst ... 124174214220221222223224225226227228234274324 ... LastLast
Results 2,231 to 2,240 of 6290

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

While helping Howard reroof his carport with corrugated polycarbonate, it occurred that an enlarged version of a Third World tin corrugated canoe might be a good look for the 2018 R2AK "Dirtbag Award."

Name:  tincanoe4.JPG
Views: 952
Size:  291.9 KB

Instructions are simple:
    Lay the corrugated sheets in the driveway and then run the back wheel of the truck back and forth to flatten the corrugations where more girth is wanted. Fold the corrugated sheet around a vertical 2x4 for the stem and then a horizontal 2x8 about 15" long for use as a transom. A couple of 1x2's caulked and nailed to the gunnels to hide the sharp edge of the tin and a 2x6 is all that is needed for a thwart/seat. Roofing tar works for caulking.

Name:  tincanoe5.jpg
Views: 783
Size:  132.2 KB

Or you can build using Ondura:
    https://ondura.com/products-ondura.shtml

Name:  tincanoe2.jpeg
Views: 955
Size:  424.2 KB

Name:  tinboat3.jpg
Views: 870
Size:  132.2 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 08-13-2017 at 12:25 PM.

TOTAL ECLIPSE 1
    Voyaging from Capitola, CA, to Corvallis, Oregon, especially pulling RUBY the trailer, is an all day affair of 635 miles. We were enroute up the I-5 interstate to a location under the totality of Monday's total eclipse. 50 miles north of the Oregon border, rounding a curve, we saw a plume of smoke ahead, clearly from a fire.

Sure enough, we were soon abeam of a wildfire spreading from the roadway up a dry, forested, steep hill, with structures in the vicinity. We could feel the heat as we passed by. A call to 911 revealed the exact location had not been determined; we advised the operator "Mile Marker 53" near Grants Pass.

In a few minutes, fire trucks, and helos with water buckets, passed southbound. Google Map reported I-5 freeway closed in both directions. Whew, that was close. Apparently the interstate closure lasted 2 hours with a 12 mile traffic backup. Fortunately our friends, Tom and Sue (DAZZLER), had decided to overnight further south at Lake Siskiyou.

http://ktvl.com/news/local/brush-fir...ar-grants-pass

Our country campsite, just west of Corvallis has the ambiance of deer, turkeys, hawks, and the reported recent sighting of a lion. Nearby is a fine country road, originally the Applegate Trail, oldest road in Oregon, pioneered in 1846 by a group of immigrants seeking to avoid the dangerous Columbia River Gorge enroute to the fertile Willamette River Valley.

The Applegate Trail leads 25 miles south to Fern Ridge Lake, where our hosts keep their 26 foot Seaward sloop at a small marina filled with mostly 15-25 foot fiberglass trailer sailors. We had a nice sunset sail in warm winds and smooth seas, while watching the green flash over a distant ridge.

Fern Ridge Lake is pretty, but muddy reservoir about 4 miles long, and emptied in the fall. An interesting building anchored in the middle of the Lake is LEAKIN' LENA, a novel floating restroom.

Name:  Fern ridge 2.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  150.0 KB

Back at the marina I spotted a pretty wooden sloop, of a one design class I had raced on as a kid. It was the only wood hull in the plastic fleet of Santanas, Montgomerys, Catalinas, Rangers, and other small craft. For lunch in Capitola, can anyone name this design with the lovely overhangs?

Name:  Fern Ridge 1.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  896.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Name:  Fern ridge 2.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  150.0 KB For lunch in Capitola, can anyone name this design with the lovely overhangs? Name:  Fern Ridge 1.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  896.2 KB
    Is it a British Dragon? [she flinches, since never has she been correct]

"For lunch in Capitola, can anyone name this design with the lovely overhangs?" Is it a British Dragon? [she flinches, never ever ever having gotten the correct answer, but Tom might still be out of wifi range]

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    "For lunch in Capitola, can anyone name this design with the lovely overhangs?" Is it a British Dragon? [she flinches, never ever ever having gotten the correct answer, but Tom might still be out of wifi range]
    Sorry, Jackie, not a Dragon. But you can guess again

A Shields with a cabin?

Sorry, Bob, not a Shields with a cabin....Shields are GRP. As noted above, this sloop is wood. You are welcome to guess again. A hint is "hot."

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    A hint is "hot."
    A fire-breathing dragon w a cabin?

Just catching up... I think it's a Luders 16 (L16). They have that shape house and windows. I do wonder how it got to a small lake in Oregon. It's hard to get a sense of scale. That power boat behind might be 26-28'. The hull shape looks like an IC (International One Design), but the house shape is wrong (ICs have a little boxy cabin) and it doesn't look long enough to be an IC. It would really help to see it. I'm only a few miles away and we did drive right past there on Friday.
    Tom
    PS- It reminds me of a 5 meter (not 5.5 or 6) that I raced on only once. That boat was at SFYC. I was pick-up crew off the dock and was quite surprised when the owner suggested that I take the helm for the race. I don't recall if we actually finished. I remember a bilge pump running much of the time and that the bronze flat-bar traveler track pulled loose from the deck.
    Last edited by Dazzler; 08-20-2017 at 10:59 AM.

It could be an IC?