Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Covid-19 Considerations

Just reporting the news, not pre-judging or opining.
    at all.

DH

Understood. When I read the PacCup announcement earlier today I had visions of the board immediately pulling the plug on ours.

Strictly in a non official capacity, I hope that the board waits to make a decision about cancelling the race until Hawaii makes its own decision about letting us in. Currently Hawaii’s shelter in place order extends until April 30.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Strictly in a non official capacity, I hope that the board waits to make a decision about cancelling the race until Hawaii makes its own decision about letting us in. Currently Hawaii’s shelter in place order extends until April 30.
    I want to go too. But suspect it will be June before Hawaii announces they are open for tourism. Can we all hang in there to early June before making the call? I also suspect there will be restriction on gathering sizes till there is a vaccine... not that will impact our small gatherings under Tree... I suspect July flights to Hawaii booked in June will be bargain priced...

Exactly. Should be a late decision and be based on the closure of Hawaii to visitors during the race dates.

Let's hang in there and see if things open up!

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

I would say to not make a decision until one is forced on you, by the government, or complete lack of airline flights, etc.

I understand the anticipation and anxiety of the current situation for all those committed to racing the 2020 SHTP even though I don't have any skin the game. However I am a healthcare professional and have worked with COVID-19 patients and have seen how even a small number of critically ill patients can impact a hospital and its staff. There's nothing to argue about with that reality as it exists. How the healthcare system deals with a crisis such as the one we're in is a loaded thread all of its own. That being said, have any of you considered the possibility of running the SHTP in 2021 if the restrictions are not lifted by the end of June?

2021 would be better than waiting two years as Pacific Cup is doing. Some of our southern CA participants may be involved in the LA TransPac, but otherwise going to odd years shouldn't affect much.

There would be less conflict with the Pacific Cup too. Their double-handed division has grown a bunch in recent years. Perhaps going to odd years would enable more skippers to do both races (like Jim Q).

And let's face it - we currently have only ten boats, assuming all make it to the line. Giving everyone another year to get ready would hopefully bring in more entries.

I could be persuaded, (Edit) but I'm curious to know what other entered skippers are thinking.
    Last edited by BobJ; 04-09-2020 at 11:07 AM.

Another side benefit of being opposite years with the PacCup besides racers is vendors. It is always crunch time for riggers, sailmakers & boat yards with two races in the same year.