Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dinghy race in the Estuary June 15

Default Dinghy race in the Estuary June 15

Remember that Pat Broderick and his friends from the Santa Rosa Yacht Club are having a dinghy race in the Estuary on June 15. I hope to cadge a ride with someone because it sounds like lots of fun. Bob J suggests that he might no longer fit in his el toro, but I'd like to see him try. Does anyone else want to come out? With a small boat? I'll leave it to Pat to define dinghy. And wait! Didn't Skip just buy a dinghy from Ants? I'd like to see that video. Bob J and Skip and Pat on the same patch of water? That's a race! If your new dinghy would fit on Wildflower it will fit in the volvo.
    Last edited by Philpott; 06-07-2019 at 06:41 PM.

Dangit ! Now I have to get a dinghy!!

Maybe I can borrow my neighbor's Lido 14

The new mini Kynntana should be there! This is Blue Pearl, a Newport 20.

Name:  Blue Pearl_28 April 2019.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  424.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    Dangit ! Now I have to get a dinghy!!
    Maybe I can borrow my neighbor's Lido 14
    Well, Greg? What does your neighbor say?

I know someone who allegedly owns a Lido 14. It's under a tree or something.

The Santa Rosa Sailing Club's Estuary Adventure Sail (aka "Assault on Alameda") is scheduled for Saturday. Put in at the public launch ramp at the foot of Grand Avenue around 10:00. Sail down toward Jack London Square. Tie up at the public float at JLS Marina. Lunch at Langomare. Sail around some and haul out back at Grand Ave. SSS folks are welcome to join in. We'll be sailing dinghies, but keel boats, power boats, manpower (person power) boats, or failed R2AK competitors are invited. No agenda except lunch. Pat B. SRSC Adventure Sail Poobah, Guru, and more. (Just ask me!)

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    I know someone who allegedly owns a Lido 14. It's under a tree or something.
    So, does it make better yard art than a sailboat?

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Well, Greg? What does your neighbor say?
    I'll have to pass this time.
    I have a couple things to do this weekend to get Nightmare ready for LongPac.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    I'll have to pass this time.
    I have a couple things to do this weekend to get Nightmare ready for LongPac.
    Too bad, Greg! This race is a perfect place for you to try out your apres Nightmare boat. Here are Pat’s sailing instructions from the Santa Rosa Yacht Club’s skippers meeting:

Last night’s SRSC meeting answered some important questions about Saturday’s Expedition into the Estuary: 1) It’s not necessary to get jungle fever shots. 2) There have been no recent great white shark sightings. 3) Passports are not required. 4) The Coast Guard will not shoot you out of the water if you get too close to their cutters. 5) This is not the Race to Alaska.
    Last edited by Philpott; 06-14-2019 at 07:39 AM.

What a lovely time! Five people and 3 dinghies (ahh what kind...help me out here, Jackie and Pat) from Santa Ross Sailing Club put in at the Grand Street boat ramp in Alameda. Jackie and I had a hilarious time getting Blue Pearl over there from Oakland because she's in an upwind slip right next to a lot of rocks and sailing out of there without the motor was not an option for me. Let's just say that tillers and outboards are vastly different than wheels and inboards -- the hand-eye-brain coordination requires practice. Pat joined us on the "big boat" and we had really nice wind (8ish knots with occasional gusts to 11 or so), which I would have never appreciated sailing Kynntana. Current was strong but not bad. It took no time to meander to Jack London Square where we pulled up at the public dock to get warmed up at Lungomare restaurant. The marine layer was blocking the typical sunny conditions in Oakland. Lunch was fantastic; the group was so nice! The dinghy sailors were first back to the launch ramp, but Blue Pearl sharpened up considerably with Pat's keen sail trim eye at the helm. He sent us some very nice pictures that I'll post later when I'm on my computer. What fun!!
    Last edited by Gamayun; 06-16-2019 at 08:11 AM.